Reckless driving is a leading cause of car accidents in South Carolina. It occurs when a driver has a disregard for the rules of the road and does dangerous, inattentive or careless maneuvers while behind the wheel.
Identifying a reckless driver
Reckless driving comes in many different forms. If you’re on the road and you see a driver exhibit any of the following behaviors, they are likely a reckless driver:
- Excessive speeding
- Running stop signs or traffic lights
- Illegally passing other cars
- Weaving through traffic
- Slamming on brakes
All of these behaviors and more can lead to serious accident. And whether they are simply running late, or they were driving under the influence of alcohol, these behaviors pose a serious threat to other drivers on the road.
How can you avoid a reckless driver?
If you observe any of these signs of a reckless driver while you’re on the road, there are steps you can take to make sure you stay out of harm’s way:
- Keep a safe distance: When you see displays of aggressive driving while you’re behind the wheel, it’s best to stay as far away from the path of destruction as possible. This might include slowing down, passing the driver, pulling over or even taking a different route altogether.
- Put the distractions away: You’ll want to be free of distractions on any day, but it’s especially crucial in the presence of a reckless driver. Acts of reckless driving can happen instantly, so for your own safety it’s wise to focus all of your attention on the road before you so you can react if need be.
- Call the police: If you feel that a person’s reckless driving is persistent and dangerous enough to put other people’s lives at risk, you can report them to the police. This way, you can hopefully put an end to the aggressive and risky behaviors of the driver.
Accidents can still happen
However, even being attentive and careful to avoid a reckless driver doesn’t always guarantee your safety. A reckless driver can creep up on you, and an accident can happen in a flash. If you were in an accident caused by a reckless driver, you may be able to pursue compensation for any damages you sustained in the crash.